lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Transition to CMake?

From: Dirk Ziegelmeier
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Transition to CMake?
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 15:26:27 +0000

Hello all,

those who watch the lwIP commits have noticed I started working on a CMake based build system.

My question is: Is there an interest in the old Makefile-based system? I'm currently tempted to throw it away :-) I'd just keep the Filelists.mk files for people with Makefile build systems.

I'm not as familiar with CMake. I would assume it supports all the same platforms as the Makefile approach?
​Sure, and portabbility is easier. You can even generate MSVC projects/Eclipse Projects/Ninja files/... using CMake.
Getting started on Linux:
- install cmake
- cd lwip-contrib/ports/unix/unixsim
- mkdir build
- cd build
- cmake ..

-> You now have a ​Makefile project as you are used to.

Same for windows, but path is lwip-contrib/ports/win32/WindowsCMake

So the next question is: Who cares about simhost/minimal/lib/check project in the unix port?

The check project is for our unit tests.  I would assume you're not suggesting getting rid of that or at least have a CMake replacement?

​Correct, and it also runs on Travis. There will of course be a replacement!

​Dirk