lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] two logical ethernet interfaces on the same physical po

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] two logical ethernet interfaces on the same physical port?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2018 15:17:59 +0200

As Sergio suggested, let's continue this on lwip-users.

On 14.06.2018 14:58, address@hidden wrote:
On 14.06.2018 14:51, Kamil Khoury wrote:
Hi,

My application requires having two logical Ethernet interfaces on the
same physical port (as shown in the image).

[.. embedded image, see
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lwip-devel/2018-06/msg00091.html]
​
I'm not sure if I did the right thing but I added the two interfaces
using netif_add () in lwip.c file and set both of the interfaces up.

netif_add () automatically provides a unique interface num which make
it easy for me to choose the logical interface I want to use for
transmission. However, at the receiver, I could not figure out how to
choose the logical interface that should handle the received message.
I'm also not sure if this is doable because somehow it doesn't make
sense to choose the reception interface after receiving the message.
am I correct? if yes, what can I do to define two different Ethernet
streams or traffic classes on the same port?
I don't know what you're trying to achieve. Do you want to have 2 MAC
addresses or 2 IP addresses? For both cases, you found a valid solution,
I guess.

Simon