lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] snd_wnd updation problem

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] snd_wnd updation problem
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 19:58:09 +0000

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 06:19:30PM +0500, Mumtaz Ahmad wrote:
> Dear all
>
> I have observed while testing with windows client that some times on
> retransmission of packets from window the window advertises smaller window .
> In that case lwip does not update its snd_wnd which ultimately leads to more
> data sent by lwip than the advertised window by windows .The window discrads
> the extra data ,which does not fit in its window ,and ask lwip to send this
> lost data again as soon its window opens. But some times this demanded
> sequence number   does not lie on segment boundary . Lwip resend a segement
> which contains that sequence somewhere in middle ,as lwip cannot fragment
> that segment to send the exact sequence , but windows keep on insisting for
> exact sequence .In that case the deadlock is created and ultimately the
> connection gets stuck .

Apologies for not replying to this sooner - it got lost in my inbox.
As I understand it (I don't have the docs to hand, so I'm going from
memory, but I'm pretty sure about this) Windows is being very naughty
if it's trying to renege on a previously advertised window by making
it smaller.  However, it's allowed to discard things it's received and
ask us to send them again (which is the effect of the smaller
advertised window), so that is by the by.  It is also, though (and
again "I think"), being rather naughty in insisting on an exact
sequence match for the retransmitted packet.  I can see that it might
be able to do things more efficiently this way, but in my opinion this
is a Windows bug not an lwIP one.

I would be interested to know what version(s) of Windows you see this
problem with, and if you have a packet capture to illustrate it.

Thanks

Kieran