lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] lwip does not ack retransmissions

From: john bougs
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] lwip does not ack retransmissions
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 09:29:59 -0800 (PST)

--- On Tue, 1/27/09, Alain M. <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: Alain M. <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: [lwip-users] lwip does not ack retransmissions
> Date: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 6:19 PM
> Hi John,
>
> I have read this thread carefully but I managed to get
> lost. Now that you solved the problem, could you please give
> us a quick description of what caused the problem and the
> solution??
>
> This could happen to any of us...
>
> Thanks,
> Alain

The problem happens sometimes when lwip misses a TCP packet.  This results in a
bunch of out of sequence packets (in in my specific example the first few are
smaller than the original resulting in the new vs old being skewed).
Eventuality the OOS packets end up filling up the pbuf_pool so no more packets
can be received.  This locks up lwip because the correct packets can not be
received.  John has indicated that these packets should eventually be cleared
due to timeouts, but in my case the telnet session  indicates the connection
has been lost and shuts down before this happens.

There were 2 fixes we discussed. The fist is to set TCP_QUEUE_OOSEQ to 0.  this
will cause lwip to reject OOS packets.  The second was a patch that cleared the
OOS pbufs if we run out of space in pbuf_pool.