lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Configuring PPP Options in Version 2.0.0 Beta1

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Configuring PPP Options in Version 2.0.0 Beta1
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 17:13:13 +0200

Hi Sylvain,

On Tue, Jul 05, 2016 at 02:34:14PM +0000, Greg Smith wrote:

> > I don't want to. Restart have a very different meaning whether we use PPPoS,
> > PPPoE or PPPoL2TP.
> >
> > The main problem here is that PPP was designed for PPPoS at first, there
> > are a
> > lot of PPP options that are only there for PPPoS and which are totally
> > useless
> > or even dangerous for PPPoE or PPPoL2TP. LCP restart is one of them :-)
> >
> > This is the same problem with listening, listening for PPPoS means waiting
> > for
> > a LCP packet, so LCP is already running, listening for PPPoE means waiting
> > for
> > a PADI packet, and once PPPoE session is established, start the PPP session,
> > and listening for PPPoL2TP means waiting for a SCCRQ packet, and once
> > PPPoL2TP
> > session is established, start the PPP session.
> >
> > I prefer to keep the PPP state flow logical, by doing our best to keep the
> > major part of the API common and to have the same behavior for PPPoS, PPPoE,
> > and PPPoL2TP.
>
> I can agree with that logic.  Would it possibly make sense to remove
> the option completely from the code then?  (I'm not necessarily
> advocating this; just asking the question.)

Hummm, this is actually not an option, the LCP restart flag is unused.
We try to keep the diff readable (at least without using tools but only
our eyes, because using tool is not possible anymore, the diff is really
huge :p) between pppd and lwIP so we don't remove things. Anyway, I
already commented-in the flag, so we have a visual notification that the
feature does not exist.

Sylvain