lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Port to Stellarisware

From: Ben Stuyts
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Port to Stellarisware
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 15:54:02 +0100

On 21 Dec 2017, at 04:54, Nathan Hartman <address@hidden> wrote:

On Dec 20, 2017, at 7:23 PM, Ben Stuyts <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Nathan,

On 20 Dec 2017, at 16:31, Nathan Hartman <address@hidden> wrote:

On Dec 20, 2017, at 10:17 AM, Ben Stuyts <address@hidden> wrote:

TI’s Stellarisware library for the LM3S series chips uses lwIP v1.3.1. By any chance, has anybody ported lwIP v2.0.3 to Stellarisware?

They basically #include all the lwIP *.c files into a single lwiplib.c file and compile that. Also not sure if their own interface/porting layer code is compatible with v2.0.3.

Not sure if LM3S is the same family or related to TI's Tiva-C a.k.a. TM4C family (TI bought Stellaris and renamed it to Tiva) but what Ben describes is exactly how TivaWare implements lwIP.

Yes, same thing. Cortex M3 vs M4 core is the main difference. TI ran into manufacturing problems with the LM3S series and developed the TM4C as a successor. TI stopped support for Stellarisware for the LM3S series and then renamed/forked it to TivaWare (or some such) for the TM4C chips. In the beginning it was more or less compatible, but I believe (!) it has diverged quite a bit now.

TivaWare is TI's driver library / bare bones framework for the TM4C family. It's stuck on lwIP version 1.4.1. As far as I know TI did not express any interest in updating TivaWare to use newer lwIP.

LM3S series is NRND, and I wouldn’t touch the TM4C series with a ten feet pole because of that. But we have a couple of designs with an LM3S8938 that I’d like to update to get access to the latest lwIP features.

We want to upgrade our code to 2.0.3 as well. If anyone knows of a working port for this platform or what adaptations must be made then please point us to it. Ben, if none exists then perhaps we can combine our efforts.

Definitely interested. But if anybody has already done some work on it, please let us know.

Are you familiar with e2e? Some searching has revealed this post:

I haven't studied in depth yet (will hopefully tomorrow morning) but supposedly someone named John Piliounis has gotten 2.0.2 to work.

I'll see what else I can dig up. Perhaps the thing to do is to go naively and replace the 1.4.1 files with 2.0.3 and see what happens.

No, I had not seen that. Thanks!

Ben