lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Transmission stall after ARP broadcast

From: Stephan Hilchenbach
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Transmission stall after ARP broadcast
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 08:35:09 +0000

>> So is there *any* communication from the device after this? Maybe on the 2nd
>> port?
After this incident receiving goes on. This means, the DMA handles incoming
packets but does not accept any outgoing packets. The second port is not
connected. The phy is not active.

>> I don't know how the software on that processor is adapted to lwIP but
>> strictly speaking, this is not a switch but 2 MACs connected via the PRUs.
>> They might have bugs, too :-)
The PRU's are not used. It's the CPSW_3G switch. What I found is, that I can
avoid (so far) this problem, when I reduce the MDIO communication to the second
port's phy to a minimum. Initially the driver tried to auto negotiate with the
phy, even when there was no link. I changed this now and wait for a link first.
I checked all code lines and in these procedures the LwIP is not involved. At
this point I get confused. Somehow the LwIP is influenced by the phy
communication and the state of the switch. Because there is no delay between
the last sent data packet an the unexpected ARP broadcast, which is then the
last transmission of the DMA. Probably the memory is overwritten somewhere.
This problem also disappears as soon as the second port is connected too.

>> Have you tried to debug what's going on in the processor after it stops?
Yes I did. The integrated DMA (CPDMA) stops sending without showing any error.
The DMA state is idle, but not responding to new descriptors. I created a
thread in the Ti forum:
https://e2e.ti.com/support/arm/sitara_arm/f/791/p/663155/2442288
The fact that this behavior is unknown indicates that my driver is doing
something stupid.

Best Regards,
Stephan