lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] dns: remember multiple IP addresses patch

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] dns: remember multiple IP addresses patch
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 19:49:35 +0100

On 21.02.2018 17:18, Jan Menzel wrote:
Hi all!
        I'd like to share a small patch with you that allows the dns subsystem
to remember and handle more then one IP address from response messages.
It basically parses out all IP address and stores them in an array. It
then returns a random entry.

What is this used for? A good DNS server should sort the IP address list of a host differently for each request.

If you want your client application to load-balance although the locally cached DNS entry has expired, I think a better approach would be to actually return all available IPs to the client and let it chose one (i.e. implement the random algorithm in your application). That way, 'gethostbyname' etc. could return all entries as well.

Simon