lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Re-Transmission from PC is ignored due to sequence numb

From: Patrick Klos
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Re-Transmission from PC is ignored due to sequence number
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 13:19:27 -0400

On 4/23/2018 11:49 AM, address@hidden wrote:
On 23.04.2018 17:18, Patrick Klos wrote:
[..]
Thinking about the retransmission from PC side:
Shouldn't lwip also do a retransmission of the lost frame?
You know, these bytes never get acknowledged by PC.
Yes, the LwIP side should have retransmitted the packet.  Packet 21 of
the trace file shows an ACK of 00009b45, so even though the LwIP device
thought it sent a response to the PC (bumping the ACK to 00009b56), LwIP
should have noticed that and resent the data from the previous packet.

On what basis do you say that? Retransmissions are triggered mainly in two ways:
a) timeout (this did not happen here)
b) dup-acks: a fast retansmission is done if 2 duplicate acks are receiver (i.e. three times the same ACK). This is not the case here, we just received the 2nd ACK.

I'm still saying lwIP is correct.

I'm not saying LwIP is incorrect, per se.  But the overall behavior being exhibited is not correct.  Sooner or later, a retransmission should occur by the embedded system with the missing data.  More context needs to be provided to know for sure.

Maybe the embedded system in question broke something in the stack? Or had a problem transmitting the packet?

Clearly, LwIP thinks it sent the response to the MODBUS request (even though it didn't seem to show up at the PC).  Until we know what happened to that packet, we're just guessing.

It's been a while since I read RFC793, so I don't know if the bare ACK in packet 22 should include the unacknowledged sequence number or the acknowledged sequence number?  Still, I'd look at the hardware (and possibly critical sections) before I'd look at LwIP.

Patrick