lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Update code and patches "RFC" :)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Update code and patches "RFC" :)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 18:31:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Nelson Henry Eric wrote:
> It would certainly make a lot of sense for `lynx -validate'.
>
> > of the Protocol modules, (1) exclude the relevant HTxxxx.o file from
>
> I'd always wondered if this couldn't be done.  Thanks, I'll try it this
> weekend.
>
> > It just seems from the code that it should work.  Changes in more
> > places would be needed to give users a sensible error message on
> > tryin to acces one of the omitted protocols.)
>
> Since Fote implemented defines for anonymous accounts, e.g.,
> #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_GOPHER       TRUE, whenever a protocol is
> defined FALSE, won't an anonymous user get a message even if the protocol
> module isn't there?

Well I was not even thinking about those CAN_ANONYMOUS_* etc.
restrictions.  I think you are right.  That may or may not be the
message you want to appear, maybe you want it to say "disabled"
rather than "not allowed".  I was just writing down what came to my mind
when I tried to think where changes would be needed, so please don't
read to much into it, it was not meant as a definite statement.

> > investigate.  My current list of suspects has HTRules, HTAAServ, HTUU,
> > maybe more, but that is unverified.
>
> I'll see what I can do about testing these, too.

As Fote has written since then, these are actually being used, or
were planned to be used.  Another case of speculation on my part.

  Klaus

;
;