Re: LYNX-DEV Update code and patches "RFC" :)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Update code and patches "RFC" :)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 18:31:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Nelson Henry Eric wrote:
> It would certainly make a lot of sense for `lynx -validate'.
> > of the Protocol modules, (1) exclude the relevant HTxxxx.o file from
> I'd always wondered if this couldn't be done.  Thanks, I'll try it this
> weekend.
> > It just seems from the code that it should work.  Changes in more
> > places would be needed to give users a sensible error message on
> > tryin to acces one of the omitted protocols.)
> Since Fote implemented defines for anonymous accounts, e.g.,
> #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_GOPHER       TRUE, whenever a protocol is
> defined FALSE, won't an anonymous user get a message even if the protocol
> module isn't there?

Well I was not even thinking about those CAN_ANONYMOUS_* etc.
restrictions.  I think you are right.  That may or may not be the
message you want to appear, maybe you want it to say "disabled"
rather than "not allowed".  I was just writing down what came to my mind
when I tried to think where changes would be needed, so please don't
read to much into it, it was not meant as a definite statement.

> > investigate.  My current list of suspects has HTRules, HTAAServ, HTUU,
> > maybe more, but that is unverified.
> I'll see what I can do about testing these, too.

As Fote has written since then, these are actually being used, or
were planned to be used.  Another case of speculation on my part.