lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV downloading docs to local directory

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV downloading docs to local directory
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 11:11:13 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, ELCHONON EDELSON wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Klaus Weide wrote:
> >
> > Also, while a `cd' to a nonexistent directory would normally be
> > prevented by the shell interpreting the script, explicitly setting
> > the PWD (or pwd) variable right before starting Lynx should work just
> > fine...
> >
> >    Klaus
>
> I would point out here, that the current directory is NOT
> dependent on that variable. the current directory is internal
> to the shell, and the shell will not change to a nonexistant
> directory simply because you set the PWD variable. To prove

What can I say?  You are right, I was wrong.

(I think your example actually showed that the per process working
directory of a process is tied to an inode, not a filename.  A shell
probably couldn't fork a child process with an invalid working directory
even if it wanted to.  But this doesn't have anything to do with
lynx-dev any more..)

 Klaus

;
;