lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Re: internationalization

From: Drazen Kacar
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: internationalization
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 04:44:34 +0100 (MET)

Foteos Macrides wrote:

>       Note that, probably in conjunction with Ari Luotonen's development
> of the Netscape server, the Netscape browser does handle those headers, and

What do you exactly mean by "does handle"? That the browser can send
accept-language & accept-charset? That's the only thing a browser has to do,
but I didn't find a way to achieve it.

> is reasonably conformant with the IETF RFCs in matters relating to charset
> handling.  The CERN server (for which Ari was the lead developer before
> going to Netscape in 1994), Apache server, and probably by now most http
> servers, support the language-related specs as well.  The more serious
> problem is that so many of the non-Latin-1 information providers don't set
> up their server's properly (with you, of course, among the refreshing
> exceptions 8-).

I'm not an information provider. :) I never had the time to make a home page,
even. I'm only trying to write some software that will enable others to provide
information.

Back to servers and browsers. If the page was sent with correct headers (or
has charset info inline in META tag) this still doesn't mean that Netscape
will make the best of it. If there is ISO 8859-2 font installed, it will.
If there isn't, NSN will display it with Latin 1 font. Which is not desirable.
My name is not written Drazen Kacar, it's Dražen Kačar (assuming
here Latin 2 entities in HTML Pro DTD :). In case browser does not have
Latin 2 font, I want it to be displayed as Drazen Kacar, but using Latin 1
as if it was Latin 2 will produce garbage. So, I have to convert it on the
server. And if NSN doesn't send accept-charset, I have no way of knowing if
Latin 2 font is available. So... Ask the user (in one or the other form), use
cookies if available, if not put the info in URL for subsequent accesses,
make sure that search services index the page, and many other little things.
I'd never expect that simple CGI on server side for code page conversion can
grow over 100K in source (without comments, of course, the code is obvious),
but yes, it can. :)

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease.

address@hidden