lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Linux and curses.

From: Duncan Hill
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Linux and curses.
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 19:50:14 +0400 (GMT-4)

On Fri, 8 Nov 1996, Klaus Weide wrote:

[Linux specific stuff, skip if you are not interested..]

> > Ok..I'm slowly writing a page that explains how those how know a bit
> > about unix can compile it, and for those who have no knowledge can get a
> > linux build of Lynx.  I may or may not go ahead with this.
>
> Please do...

Ok..

> > Getting room
> > is no problem..I think..hey..I work at the place I want the space, so a
> > meg or two of ftp space is nothing.  Anyway, whats the vote, do we
> > provide binaries for those who can't compile?
>
> I would say, go ahead.  Especially for Linux, binaries of Lynx tend to
> pop up on the popular sites anyway.  Better if they are done by someone
> with an ear to lynx-dev, who knows the current state of patches etc.

Well, not sure if sunbeach.net is popular, only 500K hits per
month..wonder if I can convince my boss to let me put a link on the main
page :)

> I would suggest you base the binaries on 2.6+Composite-Patches (well,
> maybe the C-P. after this weekend :) ), but that's up to you.
> [But then, should the version string be changed ???]

Hokay..the binaries are built..I'll check about space tomorrow.  The
first build is with the composite patch [1] applied.  I think I'll post it
big and bold on the page, and _possibly_ tag a CP to the end of the ver
string.  Any objections to this?

> separate matter from a.out or elf.  But you can use the `ldd' command
> on the binary, and it should tell you which libraries are required
> dynamically at runtime.

Ok..thanks.

[1] File called 2-6update.zip I believe it was.

Duncan Hill