lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx Impaired Site

From: Walter Skorski
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx Impaired Site
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 13:34:52 -0500 (EST)

gregory j. rosmaita writes:

> i can tell you from my correspondence with the directory of MS'
> Accessiblity Project (yeah--an oxymoron, i know) that MS' own pages are
> entirely constructed using (surprise! surprise!) authoring software, so
> i would imagine that the same holds true for the msnbc site--humans
> pluging-and-playing, pointing and clicking their way onto the web
> in an hermetically sealed closed (OS) system...

There's nothing wrong with "authoring software" per se, except that
most of the authoring software out there sucks rocks.  It seems a lot
of people get the old rule about being liberal in what you accept and
conservative in what you produce backwards when it comes to HTML
editors and such, accepting total drivel from the author without
question or comment.

What's so hard about writing a decent editor?  Why can't it *require*
ALTs in images?  Why can't it *refuse* to put METAs outside of the
HEAD?  Why can't it *prevent* you from violating the valid comment
syntax?...

<rant>
In the case of MS, it's probably partly because requiring ALTs would
mean that they couldn't run their precious .doc to .htm filters
noninteractively - they'd have to sit there and *think* for a few
extra minutes, coming up with actual *descriptive phrases*, when they
could instead be furthering the cause of inflicting AgonX on the
undeserving Web browsing public...
</rant>

--
.    iksrokS retlaW<>Walter Skorski    ..        address@hidden         .
 Computer Administrator, Div. of Medical Genetics, Thomas Jefferson University

;