lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Using Lynx -post_data option

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Using Lynx -post_data option
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 12:07:45 -0800

> From address@hidden Fri Nov  8 07:51:52 1996
> From: Michael Richardson <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Using Lynx -post_data option
> To: address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 10:15:54 -0500 (EST)
> Sender: address@hidden
>
> Larry Virden writes:
> > mentions that searching for info against the list archives is becoming
> > less and less useful as the number of occurances of hits increases.
> > I have no idea what the alternatives are to this problem though.
>
>   It requires someone to go through the archives an cull them for
> useful threads, and put them in a seperate archive.
>
> ;
> ; To UNSUBSCRIBE:  Send a mail message to address@hidden
> ;                  with "unsubscribe lynx-dev" (without the
> ;                  quotation marks) on a line by itself.
> ;

Maybe "just" changing the subject-line to make it more "narrow",
"precise", etc, then using hypermail or something like it
to do the "threading" automatically.  At least reduces
the hand-work (but not the hard part, the thinking-work
of reading the darn things, deciding on a subject, etc).

As subject, would key-word list, ordered, be any good?

Stuff to temporarily trash could merely have an "x"
or something prepended to the subject -- the rest being
the "good" stuff.

-----

Also -- look at the "Subject:" to THIS email-response.  I
merely said "r" to MAIL, and it gave me the same subject
as the prior mail -- which (seems to me) has NOTHING at all
to do with "post_data option", but is rather about
searching or reorganizing the lynx archive.

Unless we (pre-)choose some standard subjects (as examples
also of "good" subject-strings),

AND get people to use them (and other similarly well-chosen
wordings),

AND get people (ourselves) to CHANGE the subject for the
FIRST response that is about something different from
what they are replying TO,

then we haven't a chance to organize or thread the archive.

Asking someone to go through the what, tens of thousands?,
of emails and read them and think and change the subject
(for automatic threading or sorting-by-subject) -- well,
that just won't happen.  Who who knows enough to UNDERSTAND
all the emails will have the TIME (and energy and perseverence!)
to do all this -- no such person exists, likely.

(I was thinking of submitting a "funny", subject
  "solve for "zero" for baudrate for lynx-dev",
like this:  Surely at 1 (one) baud, lynx-dev mail
comes in faster than you can read it (at 1 baud),
so you NEVER catch up.  Likely also at old ASR-33 (I show
my age!) 100baud (10char/sec).  QUESTION: at what
reading-baud-rate does lynx-dev email come in
so you (barely) keep up with it?)

That for the magnitude of the organize-the-archive problem.
;
;