lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV The "Thanks for Lynx" page

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV The "Thanks for Lynx" page
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 13:03:32 -0500 (EST)

  From: Duncan Hill <address@hidden>

  On Fri, 8 Nov 1996, Scott McGee wrote:

  > I think it would largely need to be a fill-in form,
  > rather than the lynx-book
  > free form style.
  > I'd like some feedback on what should be on the form.

  Hmm..:
  Version of Lynx
  Unix version (pop-up list with other and a slot for other?)

The central point for me is the question "Would you be willing to
help others who have a host system and/or want a tailored
configuration like yours?"  If that's a yes, what I think we need
to capture into [something that can be searched somehow] is the
same stuff that goes in the "ideal bug report."  Host
environement precisely identified and major compilation options
chosen.  A key fill-in is "Where should someone start to learn
more about your configuration?  Where someone like Duncan or Bela
has explicitly compiled something for binary installation, that
is likely to be a ReadMe.html file somewhere.  On the extreme
low end the starting place is an email address or mailto: URL.
There is also the possibility that the preffered starting point is
an ftp URL for a directory or readme.txt .

  Where found Lynx
  Where heard of Lynx
  Why chose Lynx
  Extra comments about Lynx.

This market research is nice, but it is not part of answering the
question for a later would-be installation-creator: "What is the
already working version of the software in a situation the most
like mine that I can find?"

Al Gilman
;
;