lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Character encoding (was: RFW: search service)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: LYNX-DEV Character encoding (was: RFW: search service)
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 12:16:42 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 10 Nov 1996, Drazen Kacar wrote:

> Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 17:28:59 +0100 (MET)
> From: Drazen Kacar <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV RFW: search service
>
> Klaus Weide wrote:

> > > If you specify charset, you can have printable characters in that range.
> >
> > Yes, as the bytes (assuming we are talking about an 8bit charset), but
> > never SGML encoded like &#151; etc.  Those numbers *always* refer to
> > iso-8859-1 or its superset (ISO 10646).
>
> OK, I'm the ignorant one here. Where does it say so? Directing me to HTML 2.0
> RFC is quite good...

Look at the file .../test/iso8859-1.html from the Lynx distribution.
Follow the link at the top to a more recent version[*].

You will find enough links to keep you reading for a while.
I especially recommend the link to Alan Flavell's page.

   Klaus

[*]  If that files continues to be distributed with Lynx, the newest
     version should be packaged.

;
;