lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV [Q] SSL-lynx, libwww, I18N...

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV [Q] SSL-lynx, libwww, I18N...
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 12:18:32 -0500 (EST)

  From: Jung Joowon <address@hidden>

  OK... Thank you...

  I thought that the ftp lists are the mirror list.

I am not following what you are saying, here, but I am not sure it matters.

  But I cannot find the messages that I want. Anyway, your pointers made me
  know something. :)

If you have tried to look in the documents and the archive before you
ask a question here, you get bonus points.  This is encouraged but not
required.  If you don't find answers to your questions, do ask here.

  And about the paticipation of development...

  I feel that you mean "implementation first, negotiation next".

As Mark Twain would say, "this is not recommendation, merely
practice."  If you have something major in mind like a clean
Korean-speaking Lynx, it is good to raise questions such as you
have about modularization plans, where to try to confine the
changes to, etc.

  Then, if I make some patch of lynx2-6, where should I upload it?
  Should I make my own ftp site (or web site) and place it in there?

If it is big, the ususal way is for you to put it up on your own
Web server and mention the URL in mail to lynx-dev.  If you do not
have access to a server, say so and will find an alternate site
which will serve your patch.  In particular, you might want to
review the setup of the site supporting Asada-san's Japanese patches.
I will give you the URL to Subir's page that points to the site
so that you can make your own choice of Japanese or English to
read:

   Linkname: Patches and plugins for Lynx

  What if next version is released? Should I make a new patch for it?
  Or some patches will be included next version?

Rob Partington, Hiram Lester, and Foteos Macrides are the three people
doing most of the integration work at this time.  I shouldn't slight
Henry Nelson and Takuya Asada who have done most of the Japanese
localization.  If you announce a patch here, we will try to help you
find people to test it.  If it tests out OK, some or all of it will
possibly be integrated.  Exactly how much gets integrated will depend
on how you implemented the modifications and cannot be entirely
predicted even if you ask for design suggestions and try to follow
them.

  (Actually, this is the first trial of cooperation in Internet. So,
   my questions may be silly. Please let me cooperate with you and
   feel the worthy of Internet cooperation.)

You are asking the right questions.  You are doing great.

  Thanks in advance again.
But don't use that phrase, OK?  ;-)

Al Gilman

;