lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx and JavaScript -Reply

From: David Godshall
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx and JavaScript -Reply
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 10:10:00 -600

 | Since JavaScript is only supported in Netscape, and the percentage
 | of users using JavaScript is decreasing rapidly, perhaps a look at
 | providing an alternative way to achieve what you are trying, using
 | standard CGI techniques, might be considered?
 |
 | I know all the rest of the folk using Internet Explorer, Mosaic,
 | SurfIt, etc. would also appreciate it.

Actually, I believe JavaScript *IS* now supported in Microsoft
Explorer, and I think JavaScript has now been officially adopted as a
part of the newer HTML specs and is thus no longer proprietary to
Netscape.  Nevertheless, few browsers other than Netscape's and
Microsoft's do JavaScript at this time, though I don't think your
statement about JavaScript usage going down is really accurate (if
so, it's just because true Java is getting more popular).

Most of the things people use JavaScript for are unnecessary (and
sometimes annoying), though I have seen some good uses.  I, too,
would be curious what non-graphical uses JavaScript is being used
for.

David Godshall, Network Manager
Hesston College, address@hidden
;