lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Automatic Proxies?

From: Hynek Med
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Automatic Proxies?
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 16:19:55 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, Klaus Weide wrote:

> I assume that proxies are not discovered in a truely automatic way,
> teh have to be configured _somewhere_.  So that term sounds more like
> somebody's (Netscape's?) marketing-speak than an accurate description.
>
> I know that proxies can be specified remotely (i.e. the definitions
> are loaded from a URL) with Netscape Nav.  I don't know whether there
> is an open technical description.

I don't know of a precise description, but I guess it is available
somewhere. This is what I found using info from http://cache.cesnet.cz:
The content-type is application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig, and the content
itself is:

function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
{
    if (localHostOrDomainIs(host, "www.cesnet.cz"))
        return "PROXY cache.cesnet.cz:3128; DIRECT";
    else if (isPlainHostName(host))
        return "DIRECT";
    else if (dnsDomainIs(host, "localhost"))
        return "DIRECT";
    else if (dnsDomainIs(host, ".cesnet.cz"))
        return "DIRECT";
    else if (dnsDomainIs(host, ".anet.cz"))
        return "DIRECT";
    else if (dnsDomainIs(host, ".vc.cvut.cz"))
        return "DIRECT";
    else
        return "PROXY cache.cesnet.cz:3128; DIRECT";
}

It looks like this script gets executed each time when the proxy is
accessed.. As soon as we have JavaScript, we can have proxy autoconfig..
:-)

Hynek

--
Hynek Med, address@hidden