lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2.6 Sun4 won't compile

From: Drazen Kacar
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2.6 Sun4 won't compile
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 15:27:43 +0100 (MET)

Nelson Henry Eric wrote:
> > Actually, /usr/local/include/ on my system is empty.  I don't think gcc
> > 2.7.2 put anything there when I installed it.
>
> Correct.  /usr/local/include/ may contain headers for ncurses and the like.
> The thing about gcc is /usr/local/lib, in which the directory `gcc-lib'
> resides by default with gcc2.7.2 (you may have it somewhere else).  Buried
> deep within that you'll have an include directory, something like: `gcc-lib/
> sparc-sun-sunos4.1.3_JL/2.7.2/include'.  I'm the last person to ask about
> Unix things, but for me the headers in there work and the sys5 stuff doesn't.
> Don't ask me why.  Sorry for the bum tip.

Include files on SunOS 4.x.x are broken. One of the first steps in compiling
gcc is to run fix-includes command (I'm not sure if this is the exact name).
That will create those burried include files which will be used by gcc.
If you dont fix your includes, I doubt that gcc itself can be compiled.

SYS5 libraries are for SYS5 compatibility, but I doubt they work well.
On Solaris (which is Sun's SYS5 Unix) you have BSD lib for compatibility,
but that one definitely doesn't work well and should be feared and avoided
at all costs.

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease.

address@hidden