lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV searching in lists

From: Wayne Buttles
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV searching in lists
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 19:30:26 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 18 Nov 1996, Foteos Macrides wrote:

> Filip M Gieszczykiewicz <address@hidden> wrote:
> >Greetings. How hard would it be to provide VERY simple searching inside
> >lists. Have a look at:
> >
> >http://scripts.intel.com/cgi-db/dbml.exe?action=query&template=%2Fprocs%2Fsupport%2Fupgrade%2Fodpmodel.dbm&manufact=8872
> >
> >The list has 609 items... and, of course by murphy's law, I needed
> >one somewhere in the middle... #$%^&@!!!!
>
>       I tried that URL several times today to see if I could figure out
> what you are asking, and it times out before ever returning anything here.
>
>       Anyway, Lynx does search "lists", so probably what you are really
> asking is how hard it would be search form field values, such as in a
> SELECT with 609 OPTIONs.
>
>       Very, very hard. :) :)

Would it?  When you are in a select list the input is parsed within the
pop-up code, right?  So it would be a matter of allowing / and then just
strcmp'ing through opt_ptr->name's to find the pointer to emulate a select
on.

Of course tons of select options is pretty abusive to the user and
the browser, especially in light of the discussion we have had on
accessability.  It would be a better idea to complain that the page was
user unfriendly (no matter what browser you use!).

Searching other form elements (like button text) as a part of a page
search seems much harder to me.

Wayne

;
;