lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Options screen layout

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Options screen layout
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 13:08:44 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 28 Nov 1996, Joe Kincaid wrote:

>    Anyway, the idea came to me when writing the "vi/emacs" keys section of
> the FAQ. Instead of having a toggle for vi-keys and one for emacs-keys,
> couldn't you have it controlled the same way the char set is controlled?
> I.e. Have a "key mode" option and the space bar cycles from "Standard" to
> "vi keys on" to "emacs keys on" to "vi and emacs keys on". <!-- Does
> anyone ever use both together? -->

That might be an idea to consider.  I never use either, so I'm not sure
what others uses are...

>    Depending on user wants, the current keystrokes could still perform
> those functions I.e., the "V" keystroke could toggle between "Standard"
> --- "vi keys on" and between "emacs keys on" --- "vi and emacs keys on"
> and similarly for the "M" keystroke. Or, if this wasn't a big deal, it
> would "free up" a keystroke on the options screen.

I'm not sure that the keystrokes are a big deal anyway.  It is intended
for the options screen to move to a forms-like interface which won't have
keystrokes anyway...

>    Since I haven't gone back and looked at the new options screen to
> determine how this would work and whether it would help, I admit I'm
> unsure of whether this would really save space on that screen.

It might relieve some congestion on-screen, but it wouldn't free up
additional lines since Emacs keys and VI keys are on one line along with
Show dot files.

Speaking of options, I just noticed one that I'm not sure what the purpose
of it being there is... Lineedit style... the only value for it is Default
bindings.  What is the intention behind this one? (i.e. what other modes
are intended?)  How recent of an addition is this one?  I see it's not in
2.4, but it's in a version of 2.5-FM...