lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: lynx2.6 chartrans

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: lynx2.6 chartrans
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 20:41:17 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 30 Nov 1996, Drazen Kacar wrote:

> Klaus Weide wrote:
>
> > When I ran into that, I noticed that the directiory structure on the
> > site pointed to had changed.  Just browse through the FTP directories on
> > unicode.org, and you will probably find what you want.
>
> Okay...
>
> > > There's one wrong thing with Lynx entities table (before your changes).
> [...]
>
> > So how about sending a patch?
>
> I will, there was no point in doing that earlier, nobody is using Latin 2
> entities anyway.

I don't think they are defined in any of the more-or-less "official"
versions of HTML.  However, the HTML Pro DTD refers to:

<!ENTITY % ISOlat2   PUBLIC "ISO 8879-1986//ENTITIES Added Latin 2//EN"
               --<Title>Latin-2 more accented characters--

Locating that as a file would help, but I leave that task to someone else...

[...]
[ About "Which systems support UTF8 terminals or consoles": ]
> > > Perhaps Digital UNIX. I'll check... if you can tell me what to check.
> > > Which man page, or whatever.
> >
> > Guessing where which vendor will hide such information goes beyond my
> > abilities.  But `man curses' should be a good starting point...
>
> Uffff.... Why did I allow them to give me account on that thing?
> After 5 minutes of looking through man pages, I think that everything's
> there. Man standards says OSF 4.0 supports XPG4, whatever that is.

A POSIX standard.  Also supported by ncurses.

> There is even man i18n_intro, which is a good starting point to
>
> iconv(3)
>
>   The iconv() function converts a string of characters in inbuf into a dif-
>   ferent codeset and returns the the results in outbuf. The required con-
>   verter is identified by cd, which must be a valid descriptor returned by a
>   previous successful call to the iconv_open() function.

> What they call codeset is code page. But, later on, it says
>
> RESTRICTIONS
>
>   Currently, the Digital UNIX product does not include locales whose codesets
>   use shift-state encoding. [...]

That's probably referring to ISO-2022 "charsets", which are used for CJK
scripts, not to UTF8.

> Man Unicode says
>
> DESCRIPTION
>
>   The operating system provides locales and codeset converters that support
>   the following standards:
>
>     +  The Unicode Standard: Worldwide Character Encoding, Version 2.0,
>        Unicode, Inc., 1995
>
>     +  Information Technology-Universal Multiple-Octet Coded Character Set,
>        ISO/IEC 10646:1993
>
>        The Basic Multilingual Plane defined by this standard is identical
>        with the main body of Unicode character encoding.
>
> And so on... It seems that everything is there. Although the man page says
> there is limitted support for UTF-8 translation.

Quite vague..  and doesn't answer the question whether a console can
*understand* UTF8...

> Native curses package support color and functions for manipulation with
> wide characters.

My `man ncurses(3X)' (from ncurses 1.9.9e) says

                                "The following EXTENDED XSI Curses
       calls in support of wide (multibyte)  characters  are  not
       yet  implemented: addnwstr, addwstr, [etc. etc.]"

Maybe you have those functions.

Anyway, currently I wouldn't really know what to do with them..

  Klaus

;
;