lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Binary distribution: an evaluation.

From: Christopher R. Maden
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Binary distribution: an evaluation.
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 16:33:51 GMT

[Michael Richardson]

>   I still think we need a bit more than just the binaries.
>
>   We could really distribute "lynx.exe" and build a shell script
> called "lynx" which gives the -cfg=foo option, with the directory
> specified by the user.

I think a tar package for each distribution is reasonable.  It should
include the Makefile, the compiled binary, and the various documents
and configuration files.  After downloading, the user runs "make
install", modifying the Makefile if necessary.

I thought briefly about stripping everything but "install" from the
Makefile, but I think it's educational to keep it as-is, so the users
are aware that (a) Lynx is home-built, and (b) many other platforms
and configurations are available if they want them.

-Chris
--
<!NOTATION SGML.Geek PUBLIC "-//GCA//NOTATION SGML Geek//EN">
<!ENTITY crism PUBLIC "-//EBT//NONSGML Christopher R. Maden//EN" SYSTEM