lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Caching (was: A bunch of patches)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: LYNX-DEV Caching (was: A bunch of patches)
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 20:50:16 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Drazen Kacar wrote:

> Klaus Weide wrote:
> > On Wed, 4 Dec 1996, Ryan Hung wrote:
> > >
> > > LYGetFile.c:
> > >
> > > - One small change so that documents are reloaded after finishing a
> > > lynxprog or lynxexec.  Because Lynx does not reload no-cache pages after
> > > exiting from a lynxprog or lynxexec, as it should.
> >
> > Could you explain why you think it should?
> >
> Lynx shouldn't reload pages which came with one of no-cache directives.
> Cache-control in HTTP 1.1 (and Pragma directive in HTTP 1.0) refer to
> external cache only, ie. proxy.

That is simply incorrect.

For a cache that is a subsystem of a client all HTTP 1.1 rules apply.

The HTTP 1.1 spec distinguishes between "History mechanisms" and caches.
But it is not clear to me that what Lynx does falls clearly in one
of those two categories (to the exclusion of the other).  It has
aspects of both.

  Klaus

;
;