lynx-dev

RE: LYNX-DEV Problems installing Lynx on VAX...

From: David Hardy
Subject: RE: LYNX-DEV Problems installing Lynx on VAX...
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 11:03:22 GMT

On Thu, 12 Dec 1996 17:05:00, Jonathan Ah Kit <address@hidden>
wrote:

> Hi there...
>
> Came across your web page about platforms for Lynx. :) However, I do not have
> web access due to a problem.
>
> As far as I know, the system I use for Internet is a VAX running ALL-IN-1
> (which I suppose, no guarantee) is the menu software. The sysop has tried
> compiling it and loading it on, "...but not having a C compiler on the system
> makes it a little difficult, especially when the development system that does
> have one uses different runtime libraries...."
>
> I can try to find out what other software/versions were used if that helps.
>
> As I have seen Lynx working on what was apparently a VAX on a now-closed local
> freenet, is there a "general" VAX version?

There have been recent discussions on the LYNX-DEV list about providing Lynx
binaries for a number of operating systems but the number available is limited
at the moment. Have a look at URL http://lynx.browsers.org/ and link 'Lynx
Binary Distribution Initiative' for details on currently available versions.

Currently there doesn't appear to be a VMS version so...

The operating system versions will be important but there's a possible solution
if the VAX systems have sufficiently similar run-time libraries. The usual
cause of run-time library differences is a different version of VMS or
installation of a compiler that needs additional features in the library. If
the differences are not caused by the C compiler, the following _might_ work.

The Lynx source is arranged in a number of subdirectories under one directory.
If Lynx is built on the system having the C compiler, it should be possible to
copy the entire directory tree on to the system which doesn't have the C
compiler. You'll now have a version of Lynx which doesn't run correctly because
of the run-time library differences but you will have the object files (.OBJ)
and the WWW library (WWWLIB_somthing.OLB). Now edit the file BUILD.COM to
comment out the line

     $ @libmake 'option' 'cc_opts'

(which builds the WWW library) and the lines that begin

     $ cc

beginning at the line containing

     $ cc DefaultStyle

(lines beginning

     $ cc :=

should not be touched). Now execute the modified BUILD.COM and it _should_
simply use the pre-compiled files to create the Lynx executable.

David