lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV reading *.html.gz files with Lynx ?

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV reading *.html.gz files with Lynx ?
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 14:09:41 -0600 (CST)

There have bee recent threads about that - have a look at the archives.

However, in your case the problem may just be that Lynx doesn't find
the gzip binary where it expects it.  The path is hardwired in at
compile time.  If you compiled Lynx yourself, you should have changed
it before compilation (in userdefs.h).  If you use a precompiled binary,
(a) compile Lynx yourself, or (b) find out where that binary tries to
find gzip, and move or link your gzip there.

Note that there is a -trace flag and a trace toggle key.

On Wed, 18 Dec 1996, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:

> I use Lynx 2.6 extensively to browse software documentation on my Linux
> box and find it a great tool (vs. man). Today I compressed with gzip
> some html files and tried to view them with Lynx but I get an error
> message:
>
> "Error uncompressing temporary file.."
>
> And then Lynx exits.
>
> So it *seems* Lynx actually tries to read the file by first
> uncompressing it to a temp file...
>
> Has anybody had success reading .gz files with Lynx (like 'less'
> transparently does).

Certainly.

  Klaus

;