lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV add "append to file" to "print" page.

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV add "append to file" to "print" page.
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 1996 11:10:16 -0800

> From address@hidden Fri Dec 27 18:11:06 1996
> Date: Sat, 28 Dec 1996 10:54:06 +0900 (JST)
> From: Nelson Henry Eric <address@hidden>
>
> > email to friends) if there was an "Append to local file" too.
> [...]
> > Does ANYONE ELSE see this as a useful feature -- if so,
>
> It's very useful.  Assuming sh shell, add the following to lynx.cfg:
>
> PRINTER:append to a file:echo;echo -n "Enter name of file to append to\:
> ";read file;cat %s >> "$file":FALSE

Naive question: does that mean that then ALL stuff that gets printed
locally gets appended -- that it NEVER over-writes existing file,
even when you want to?

Or I suppose a more complicated shell script to ask question,
etc would do it.  But then that's as much work to write as
doing it IN lynx is -- AND, each person who wants such feature
has to RE-do it himself ==> many hours total work across lynx-users.

Not only that, takes time to fire up shell (or perl? or whatever)
at EACH "print locally" p-cmd.

Seems to me that the RIGHT place to put append-code is where lynx
finds that file already exists, and asks "overwrite?", and
change that to "O(verwrite) A(ppend) D(Append-with-divider) C(ancel)".

Just another work-creating idea of mine... but maybe useful
for LOTS of people?

;
;