lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV lynx bug

From: Paul Gilmartin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx bug
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 10:01:30 -0700 (MST)

In a recent note, address@hidden said:

> From: address@hidden
>
> Please tell me why I cannot access the following URL via my Dorsai Unix
> account:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/7361/Africa.html
>
> I get a message about encountering a lynx bug.  I know this is an
> operating site because I can access it via AOL.  What's the problem?

I strongly suspect Dorsai is running SunOS 4.1.x, and this is a bug
not in Lynx, but in SunOS.  See:

    http://www.access.digex.net/~asgilman/lynx/FAQ/webcrawler.html

for details.

> What can I do about it?

Persuade Dorsai to apply a patch to SunOS.  The patch is
described in the above URL.  Short of that, you can access
the page by IP address rather than domain name.  (Don't try
this without adult supervision, etc.)

> (By the way, I get the same error message when I try to reach
> <http://www.crl.com/~subir/>, as directed by ukansas.)

Yup.  Fits the pattern.

-- gil
;