lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Time for Lynx 2.7?

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Time for Lynx 2.7?
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 23:16:39 -0600 (CST)

Greetings, and a late Happy New Year.

On Sat, 11 Jan 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:
> Rob Partington <address@hidden> wrote:
> >Subir Grewal wrote:
> >>
> >> Obviously, if we go ahead with this we have to see how the three different
> >> developmental versions we have (Fote's, Hiram's and Rob's) have to be
> >> brought together.  But I guess they can sort that out.  I do think it's
> >> time for another version and we should begin planning tests, collation and
> >> final bug-fixes.
> >
> >My versions aren't really developmental versions - they're just enhancements
> >to the style handling patch I did previously.  [...]

>       Everything in Hiram's Composite is in the FM code set, so that's
> not an issue at the moment, but don't forget Klaus's stuff for dealing
> with > 255 character encodings.   Though it may not seem urgent at the
> moment, in due time absence of such support will make Lynx "obsolete" in
> more than just the "personal opinion" sense.
>
>       If we want Rob's and Klaus' stuff in a v2.7 "official release"
> reasonably soon, it would have to blow off VMS.  Alternatively, we
> could start final debugging of what's presently in the FM code, release
> that as v2.7, and have Rob, Klaus (and David with the cateloged message
> mods he's been working on) update to that, and then continue again as we
> had planned four months ago for v2.6.
>
>                               Fote

As far as the chartrans stuff is concerned - IMO it is not ready for
inclusion in an "official" release yet.  I am aware of some glitches,
and others are waiting to be discovered; so far I know positively
of exactly one person besides myself who has tried the chartrans patches
(Hynek Med).

I am planning to update the stuff at
   <URL:http://www.tezcat.com/~kweide/lynx-chartrans/>
to the latest development code (whichever that is) but it may take a while
till I get around to it.  In the meantime I still hope that some more
people will try out what is currently available... (and contribute some
translation tables, especially if they want their name to appear as
Dra&zcaron;en to Latin-2 or windows-1252 users but as Drazen to Latin-1
or 7-bit users.)

I am not aware of anything in the chartrans mods code that would exclude
VMS (except for the AUTOSWITCH stuff for Linux-specific codepage
switching).  I would expect the code to work on VMS, just some adaptation
of Makefile(s) should be required to get the source from the new subdir
./src/chrtrans compiled and linked.  Fote, have you tried it?

   Klaus

;
;