lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: (no subject) -- ALWAYS INCLUDE A SUBJECT!!!

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: (no subject) -- ALWAYS INCLUDE A SUBJECT!!!
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 12:01:40 -0500 (EST)

root <address@hidden> wrote:
>Foteos Macrides wrote:
>>
>> address@hidden (Dimitrios Antsos) wrote:
>> >Hello all.  Any help on the following lynx2-6 installation question would be
>> >greatly appreciated:
>> >

>> >There I get the error:
>> >
>> >YMain.c:451: Parse error before /.
>> >
>> >Now line 451 does not contain a /.  I contains a "StrAllocCopy" statement.
>>
>>      The preceding three lines read your definitions for
>> INFOSECS, MESSAGESECS and ALERTSECS in userdefs.h.  You must
>> have edited userdefs.h in an improper manner which is confusing
>> the compiler.
>
>I had gotten that error several times (under linux 2.0.0(slackware 4.0)) on
>the old 2.6FM codeset (the "this is going to be the next ver. of lynx", not
>the "just Foteos' personal mods."). I couldn't figure out how to fix it, and
>eventually uploaded a newer codeset, and that worked fine.

        That section of code in LYMain.c:

[...]
    InfoSecs    = (int)INFOSECS;
    MessageSecs = (int)MESSAGESECS;
    AlertSecs   = (int)ALERTSECS;
    StrAllocCopy(helpfile, HELPFILE);
[...]

inserts your userdefs.h symbol definitions.  It hasn't changed since v2.5.
The HELPFILE definition should be a URL that you edited to point to your
local copy of the online help files, and thus does contain a slash.

        Perhaps when you updated you also edited the newer distribution's
userdefs.h, without a typo in your userdefs.h for the earlier distribution.

        I don't follow what you're saying about "next ver" versus
"personal mods" FM code sets.  I agree with Subir that an "official"
v2.7 should be released for the benefit of users at sites which require
some concept of "officialness", and thus are using the now antique v2.6
from last September.  The FM code set was in a stable phase, and I
volunteered to release that as v2.7, but didn't perceive consensus
that I should do that.  The subsequent messages instead indicated that
Al would be leading a band of alpha testers to a release, though it
wasn't clear what "alpha code" Al's alpha testers would be testing.
In any case, as things presently stand the FM code is still my personal
mods, being made publically available via:

          http://www.wfbr.edu/dir/lynx
        gopher://gopher.wfbr.edu/11/_fileserv/_lynx
          http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/fote/
           ftp://www.slcc.edu/pub/lynx/fote/

to anyone who might find the distribution useful.

                                Fote