lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV blockquote behavior

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV blockquote behavior
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 21:16:49 -0500 (EST)

Joe Kincaid <address@hidden> wrote:
>This is kind of a late follow-up and I apologize for that. I postponed the
>message and then forgot about it, thinking I had sent it. Since then, I
>saw where Fote has added the extra blank line for nested <blockquote>s.
>(Thanks.) I decided to go ahead and post this anyway just to bring the
>example to others' attention.
>[...]

        Just to be sure we're together on this, there is nothing, anywhere,
in any specification, which says that a browser should indent blockquotes
at all, let alone nest indentations for them.  What *is* intended, but
not implemented by the major commercial browsers, is that character-level
Q elements be used in conjuction with the block-level BLOCKQUOTE or BQ
elements, and any nesting of Q elements will alternate the quoting
characters appropriately to the depth (which is supported by Lynx),
as well choosing the quoting characters based on the LANG attributes
of the Q start tags (which is not yet supported by Lynx; it just uses
alternating double-quotes and `blah' angled single-quotes).  The
Q's nesting is "remebered" across nested BLOCKQUOTE or BQ elements
(just make sure you don't invalidly interdigitate the various start
and end tags).  So you should have no trouble making clear what are
quotations within quotations.

        Hopefully, by now, you've read the "Lynx and HTML Quotes"
section of the Users Guide via the online 'h'elp.

                                Fote