lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Solaris 2.5 curses problem compiling lynx 2.6

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Solaris 2.5 curses problem compiling lynx 2.6
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 13:19:50 -0500 (EST)

> I'm having troubles compiling Lynx 2.6 on Solaris 2.5 with gcc. I've looked
> through the lynx-dev
> archives and found suggestions to compile with -g instead of -O and to use
> ncurses
> instead of curses.  I tried the former and would rather not try the latter if
> there's
> other options.  The error message is attached below.  I'd appreciate it if
> someone
> could email me with any suggestions.
There's one good reason to use ncurses on Solaris 2.5 -- there's a bug
in libc that'll drop characters from the output of a curses application.
Ncurses happens to use different buffering & doesn't (afaik) get caught
by this bug.

However...
> errors:
>
>   /opt/gnu/bin/gcc -g -DFANCY_CURSES -DUNIX -DSVR4        -DSOLARIS2
> -DCURS_PERFOR
>   MANCE -DUTMPX_FOR_UTMP -DUSE_DIRENT     -DLOCALE -DHAVE_TERMIOS_H
> -I../WWW
>   /Library/Implementation -DDIRED_SUPPORT  -DOK_TAR -DOK_ZIP -DOK_GZIP
> -DOK_UUDECO
>   DE -DOK_OVERRIDE -DOK_PERMIT -I..   -c  LYClean.c
>   In file included from LYCurses.h:50,
>                    from LYClean.c:3:
>   /usr/include/curses.h:321: parse error before `__va_list'
>   /usr/include/curses.h:322: parse error before `__va_list'
I cannot tell from the line number whether this is Sun's header or ncurse's.
Basically what's happened is that gcc is getting entangled between the
difference between <stdarg.h> and <varargs.h>; since it has its own
shadow headers (under gcc-lib), it's probably there that the line numbers
correspond.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden