lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV html validator... can't find url

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: LYNX-DEV html validator... can't find url
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 05:42:52 -0500 (EST)

I tried running the html validator at
        http://ugweb.cs.ualberta.ca/~gerald/validate/
on an html file that lynx was complaining about.
I copied the source of the offending page to my home directory / file.html
then went to the validator web page and entered
        file://localhost/u/l/leaves/file.html
When I tried running the validator on this url, it couldn't find the file.
When I run 'lynx file.html' it has no trouble finding it.
Ok, so I'm still new at web surfing...
Am I doing something wrong?

I also tried running lynx -trace on the file and got lots of output
that I don't know how to interpret (yet).
I ran grep -i for words like 'error', 'illegal', 'bad', etc.
There were lots of lines that said
SGML: Illegal end tag </OPTION> found.
but nothing else suspicious.

Pointers welcome.