lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV: upcoming GNU JAN-CD & Lynx 2.6&7

From: David Combs
Subject: LYNX-DEV: upcoming GNU JAN-CD & Lynx 2.6&7
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 14:16:39 -0800

RE new gnu SOURCE-CD:

  LYNX is just about to go to 2.7, a VAST improvement over 2.6,
in turn a VAST improvement over 2.4.? or whatever the gnu source CD
has been including.

Since I am told that the Jan CD has been delayed two or so weeks,
perhaps you would want to include this upcoming (in a matter of days!)
new 2.7.   Or maybe both it and the "current" 2.6.

The 2.7 is a VAST improvement, though: has cookies, MULTIPLE "bookmark"
files, ten thousand bugs fixed, etc, etc, etc.

PERHAPS someone from gnu/fsf should actually JOIN the lynx-dev mailing
list for a week or so, to see what is going on.

Surely the gnu source-CD has to be the quickest way to get the new
version out to what, thousands?, of users.

It would ALSO be useful if someone on THIS mailing list post a CONCISE
list of "new features" in the upcoming 2.7, so that the people creating
the new gnu CD can become "enthusiastic" about it.

It would ALSO be useful if someone who did lots of "web surfing", but
who did NOT need PICTURES (or ads composed of them!), to TRY lynx.
Surfing the net is SO MUCH FASTER than via netscape, etc.  Plus some
neat features, eg being able to download, with ONE command, ALL
the files in the "proper" subtree rooted at the current node.  I don't know
if netscape has such a feature (does it?), but I myself have downloaded
with ONE command (I call my alias of the command string "treelynx")
eg 150 short stories, 250 or so elements of the python (guido's) tutorial
(223 files) and his lib-doc (116 files).  This feature ALONE makes
lynx an incredible tool.  (Imagine the hassle of doing this file
by file!  And when the "proper" subtree goes further down?)