lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV lynx bug (go figure!)

From: Simon Wickes
Subject: LYNX-DEV lynx bug (go figure!)
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 22:43:07 -0600

Hi there,

I checked the the FAQs and see no notes about this bug so here it is.

I have lynx 2-4-2 (I know, its not current) and when I load up
a valid HTML file with comments which contains HTML markup, the
contents of the comment is included on the screen after the HTML
markup. For example:

        <!-- don't you dare look at this <b>load of crap</b> -->

will appear as:

        load of crap

This happens when I use comments to "protect" javascript code and
then attempt to write out markup for the browsers. I don't
expect lynx to be javascript-aware, but I also don't expect it
to try to render the contents of commented blocks! It works on
end tags as well as start tags. (</b>)

If this has been fixed, that is great, I don't have control
over the version I use here and I don't think its their priority
right now. I'm just trying to make sure my pages look good for
*ALL* browsers, not just the "pop" ones.

If you want to really check out the effect, the problem-child page is:

http://www.net-gate.com/~simon/tv21.html

Thanks,
;
;