lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV lynx bug (go figure!)

From: Ismael Cordeiro
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx bug (go figure!)
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 08:52:28 -0500 (EST)

Simon Wickes wrote:

> I have lynx 2-4-2 (I know, its not current) and when I load up a valid
> HTML file with comments which contains HTML markup, the contents of the
> comment is included on the screen after the HTML markup. For example:
>
>       <!-- don't you dare look at this <b>load of crap</b> -->
>
> will appear as:
>
>       load of crap
>
> This happens when I use comments to "protect" javascript code and then
> attempt to write out markup for the browsers. I don't expect lynx to be
> javascript-aware, but I also don't expect it to try to render the contents
> of commented blocks! It works on end tags as well as start tags. (</b>)
>
> If this has been fixed, that is great,

Yes, it has been fixed. Version 2.6 and the pre-release of version 2.7
correctly handle your page.

> I don't have control over the version I use here and I don't think its
> their priority right now.

Even if you don't think it's their priority, you could ask the sysadmin to
upgrade, or you could do what I do and compile your personal Lynx, or you
could use Lynx via telnet for checking your pages. The ones I know using
Lynx 2.6 are:

telnet://sailor.lib.md.us/      (login: guest)
telnet://cwispub.unh.edu/       (login: cwispub)

> I'm just trying to make sure my pages look good for *ALL* browsers, not
> just the "pop" ones.

We appreciate your effort and I can say that you're being successful. Your
pages are quite Lynx-friendly. Just ga-productions.html need a little more
work.

Ismael