lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx Keystrokes

From: Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx Keystrokes
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 12:44:21 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 8 Feb 1997, Scott McGee (Personal) wrote:

> Will Mengarini worte concerning mods to allow $LYNX_CFG to take a colon
> seperated list thus allowing multiple lynx.cfg files. Would this mean that
> If that is what it means (and I expleained it so that anyone could tell what
> I was saying), then I vote a resounding YES for adding such after 2-7!

C-Kermit has a similar startup process.  There is a compiled-in full path
name to the site Kermit settings, which might end up in /usr/local/lib.  A
user may have additional setting in her home directory, like this:

FILES
       $HOME/.kermrc   Standard C-Kermit initialization commands.
       $HOME/.mykermrc Your personal C-Kermit customization file.

The first is there in case the "usual places" are unwritable by her, and
the sysadmins won't do it.  The docs recommend copying the standard
template of run commands into that file.  The "MyKerm" file has user
specific mods, such as block sizes, preferred terminal emulation, etc.

Kermit also has variable in the rc files to determine whether a specific
setting is compatible with the Kermit executable.  Kermit, like Lynx, also
has a command line switch to override the system default settings file
with a user one (I do this at BCPL with Lynx).

Lynx now uses $HOME/.lynxrc as a different animal than
/the/usual/places/lynx.cfg, to store the users options.  Perhaps a
$HOME/.lynxcfg file could be created to store settings that are not in the
options menus?

------

;
;