lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV mailto: and title="bug"

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV mailto: and title="bug"
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 17:44:47 -0500 (EST)

Subir Grewal <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Tue, 11 Feb 1997, Eli's redistribution point wrote:
>
>:<URL:http://www.netusa.net/~eli/erotica/assm/faq.html> has
>:two mailto links to the same address in it. (With numbered
>:links on, they are 5 and 8.) Both have different data in
>:the TITLE attibute of the anchor tag. But Lynx 2.7 (probably
>:the version from a week ago) only uses the title for the
>:first one.
>
>I could reproduce this problem.  It seems as if Lynx is binding a
>particular title value to a particular mailto url, at every future
>instance of the mailto URL, the same TITLE is used.  When I tested it, I
>used my standard test template which also has a whole bunch of LINKs
>defined.  The rel value also seems to have propogate.  For example, in a
>document with the following:
>
><link rel=previous href="mailto:address@hidden";>
>
>the default subject used when any of these links is activated is
>"previous" (if the LINK hadn't been there, the default subject for both
>links would be "some title here"). For a different mailto URL, say

        There no way to deal with that.  Each distinct URL is saved
in a hash table, and can have one "advisory title" associated with
it.  Every "mailto:address@hidden"; in the markup is the same URL,
so Lynx can either stick with the first TITLE attribute value, as
it does, or keep replacing whenever it encounters the same URL
that also has a TITLE attribute.  If it's HTML, the "advisory title"
would ultimately be replaced by the content of a TITLE element when
the URL is retrieved and rendered.

        That's a case where the tack-on kludge makes sense:

        mailto:address@hidden
        mailto:address@hidden

are two different URLs, and will each be entered in the hash table,
so you'll get the intended subject header depending on which link
was activated.

                                Fote