lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Patches for lynx2.7 for SunOS

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Patches for lynx2.7 for SunOS
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 17:07:34 -0700

Filip M Gieszczykiewicz <address@hidden> writes:

>This is what I needed to kludge to get Lynx to compile on:
>
>hardware: sun4m_54
>uname -a: SunOS unixs3.cis.pitt.edu 5.4 Generic_101945-43 sun4m sparc
>GNU make: make sun4
>GNU diff: diff -P -r -C 5 lynx2-7_orig lynx2-7

Filip,

I think the problem you are having is due to the mistaken use of the sun4
target (for SunOS 4.X) when you actually have a Solaris 2.4 system and
should use the solaris2 target. For instance, compair uname output on your
system:

>uname -a: SunOS unixs3.cis.pitt.edu 5.4 Generic_101945-43 sun4m sparc

with that on mine, a known Solaris 2.4 system:

uname -a: SunOS sol.slcc.edu 5.4 Generic_101945-10 sun4m sparc

The confusion comes from the fact that Sun likes to refer to their Solaris
2.x systems as SunOS 5.x. Thus the 5.4 in your uname output indicates that
you have Solaris 2.4.

Try "make solaris2" and see if it helps.

Scott

(PS, my system also has gcc, and compiles flawlessly with "make solaris2".)

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,