lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Two bugs in Lynx,

From: Joe Kislo
Subject: LYNX-DEV Two bugs in Lynx,
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 16:32:26 -0500 (EST)

> Follow the Lynx H)elp to tutorials and specs for the supported URLs,
> which include ftp which includes a form for embedding what you need.

        Okay, thanks.  I got what I needed.  However I've run into two
problems/bugs in lynx.

First:  In lynx 2-7, imbedding the username and password in the ftp URL does
not work.  The same command works fine with 2-6 and 2-5.
Here's my command
lynx ftp://username:address@hidden/

The same command line works fine under 2-5 and 2-6, however it does NOT work
under 2-7.  If you do a trace you can discover it's trying to do a DNS
lookup on username:password.  Something is busted here.

Second:  There is a problem in the HTFTP code in lynx.  I have a trace I'll
include which will detail the problem.  The problem is when you try to ftp
into an MVS ftp server.  Lynx tries to decode the URL line:
lynx http://username:address@hidden/blahlbah.blah.com
by sending a CWD /
to change the directory to the "root" directory, then start sending CWD's
for each subdirectory after that.
Unfortunatly, MVS doesn't like the CWD / command, because MVS doesn't handle
directories like that.  Instead it should send several CWD .. commands.
Hopefully someone there is familure with MVS.  Periods are used as directory
delimiters. So the file HDPN.OR.DOWNLOAD.DART.HSG.G0028V00 can be accessed
by sending
CWD HDPN
CWD OR
CWD DOWNLOAD
CWD DART
CWD HSG
GET G0028v00

Or you can simply change to the root directory, and
GET HDPN.OR.DOWNLOAD.DARt.HSG.G0028v00

So basically Lynx should recognize when it sends is SYST command to see what
server it is, recognize an MVS server.  Currently Lynx is recognizing it as
a Generic server; which obviously doesn't work.  And then code the ftp line
like this:
ftp://username:address@hidden/../hdpn.or.download.dart.hsg.g00028v00
so it would:
log in
send CWD ..
send GET hdpn.or.download.dart.hsg.g00028v00

And not send a starting CWD / and expect things to work.

Here's the Trace of the failed FTP.

Username field has been replaced with U's and the password fields have been
replaced with P's.

---
HTParse: result:/
HTParse: aName:ftp://UUUUUUU:address@hidden/   relatedName:
HTParse: result:UUUUUUU:address@hidden
HTParse: aName:ftp://UUUUUUU:address@hidden/   relatedName:
HTParse: result:ftp
HTParse: aName:ftp://UUUUUUU:address@hidden/   relatedName:
HTParse: result:UUUUUUU:address@hidden
HTParse: aName:ftp://UUUUUUU:address@hidden/   relatedName:
HTParse: result:UUUUUUU:address@hidden
Looking up mvs.umassp.edu.
TCP: Parsed address as port 21, IP address 192.195.196.20
Making FTP connection to mvs.umassp.edu.
FTP connected, socket 135125264
    Rx: 220-EZAFTSRV IBM MVS V3R1 AT MVS.UMASSP.EDU, 11:44:31 ON 02/19/97
Adding message to help cache: EZAFTSRV IBM MVS V3R1 AT MVS.UMASSP.EDU,
11:44:31 ON 02/19/97

    Rx: 220 CONNECTION WILL CLOSE IF IDLE FOR MORE THAN 5 MINUTES.
  Tx: USER UUUUUUU
    Rx: 331 SEND PASSWORD PLEASE.
  Tx: PASS PPPPPP
    Rx: 230 UUUUUUU IS LOGGED ON.  WORKING DIRECTORY IS "UUUUUUU.".
HTFTP: Logged in.
  Tx: SYST
    Rx: 215 MVS IS THE OPERATING SYSTEM OF THIS SERVER.  FTP SERVER IS THE
C-SERVER.
HTFTP: Ugh!  A Generic server.
  Tx: PWD
    Rx: 257 "'UUUUUUU.'" IS WORKING DIRECTORY.
HTFTP: Treating as Generic server.
HTFTP: Opened master socket number 4
HTFTP: This host is 128.119.210.1
HTFTP: bound to port 1238 on 128.119.210.1
TCP: Master socket(), bind() and listen() all OK
  Tx: PORT 128,119,210,1,4,214
    Rx: 200 PORT REQUEST OK.
HTFTP: Port defined.
HTParse: aName:ftp://UUUUUUU:address@hidden/   relatedName:
1
HTParse: result:/
HTFTP: UnEscaped /
  Tx: RETR /
    Rx: 501 INVALID DATA SET NAME "/". USE MVS DSNAME CONVENTIONS.
  Tx: CWD /
    Rx: 501 A QUALIFIER IN "/" BEGINS WITH  AN INVALID CHARACTER
HTAccess:  status=-5
Can't Access Ftp://UUUUUUU:address@hidden/'
HTAccess: Can't access Ftp://UUUUUUU:address@hidden/'

Alert!: Unable to access document.

--
This is with 2-6, since 2-7 doesn't even work.

-joe
Thanks, please let me know if any head way is made or any workarounds you
can alert me of.
;