lynx-dev

Someone needs a vacation (was Re: LYNX-DEV Update patch)

From: Mike Brown
Subject: Someone needs a vacation (was Re: LYNX-DEV Update patch)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 12:04:30 -0800 (PST)

> >  Foteos Macrides wrote:
> >     I'm certain, Ismael, that if you took three deep breaths to
> >  snap out of "whining to lynx-dev" mode, you could actually figure that
> >  out yourself [...]
> >
> No, Al, reread the thread again.  No long-term participant of this
> list, such as you and Ismael, should still be ignorant about that.
>
>       And frankly, Al, whether you can understand this or not,
> a psuedo-FAQ maintained by someone who still does not understand
> that, and, after all this time and all the explanations posted here
> and/or included in the documentation and online 'h'elp about how
> Lynx works, still understands so little about how Lynx actually
> works, has been one of the highly effective booby traps for new
> Lynx users.
>
>       Coming here for help and being barraged by noise and
> misinformation is another highly effective booby trap.
>
>       But don't worry Al.  Beyond making bug fixes for v2.7
> available for the non-booby Lynx users, I'm done.  I formally
> "stepped down" from the role of de-facto Coordinator of Lynx
> Development last Sepementer.  Whether the person who accepted
> that responsibility last September will finally start really
> coordinating Lynx development, or at least address the issue
> himself and perhaps pave the way for one of the other recent
> volunteers to take a shot at it, remains to be seen.

It seems, Fote, that someone, Fote, hasn't taken his own advice, Fote.

It's a wonder anyone besides you posts anymore, since they're likely
to be insulted and patronized for not having taken it upon themselves to
answer their own questions.  While I do believe that every once in a while
the list could use a good dose of "Read The F***ing Manual," you've been
doling it out left and right, lately, and it seems that not even the most
valuable contributors to the lynx community are outside the realm of your
abuse.

I'm certain, Fote, that if you took three deep breaths to snap out of
"whining to lynx-dev" mode, you could actually figure that out yourself.

You're exhibiting the symptoms of someone who has been too intimately
involved with a project and mailing list for too long, and doesn't know
when to take a step back and recognize the situation for what it is.  This
happened to me with one of my mailing lists not too long ago.  The list
had grown exponentially, and more and more people were getting involved..
but the noise ratio was going up, and there were frequent displays of
unforgivable ignorance, petty bickering, and outright challenges to my
vision of what constituted appropriate discussion.  Eventually I washed my
hands of the whole thing and took a nice long vacation.  In time, things
settled down, I was able to accept the fact that the list was not what it
originally was or should have been, and I could contribute to it and
follow along without being too annoyed by or berating the other
listmembers when they continued to be idiotic.

In my humble opinion, Fote, you need to take a break from the list and
maybe from Lynx altogether, at least for a little while.  When you come
back, the list will still be here.  And like it or not, some people are
going to be posting questions that only you know the answers to, and
you're still going to wish that they were more intimately familiar with
the code, with the past discussion on the list, and in some cases, with
the contents of the documentation or config files that you know they must
not have read thoroughly.  The sooner you deal with that reality and stop
sarcastically attacking others on the list (Al Gilman, of all people!),
the more productive the list will be, in spite of the "noise".

Mike Brown

(...whose opinion doesn't matter because he only familiarized himself with
the charsets file so he could add the PC codepage 850 translations, and
because he didn't search the lynx-dev archives before making this post to
see if Fote had already rationalized his behavior in a previous
discussion.)
;
;