lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Win32/386 Lynx

From: Wayne Buttles
Subject: LYNX-DEV Win32/386 Lynx
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 22:22:07 -0500 (EST)

Well, I have a semi working DJGPP Lynx2.7 based on the same code as my
Win32 Lynx.  It has better local file support and fancy_curses compiled
in (working keypads and highlighting).  It should all still be portable
except for the makefiles.

I am thinking about integrating Fote's bugfixes and _then_ offering the
new versions and source.  Does that sound like a wise choice or should I
offer just my changes for DOS/Win32 from 2.7?

Now for my usual banter...

I have found the same problem as DJ in that Lynx386 only seems to work
with http and gopher.  I find this rather interesting since both Doslynx
and Bobcat had the same problem which was worked around with a kludge.
Even more supprizing to me, the Win32 version did NOT have this problem.
Everything worked the first try (except bookmarks, which was fixed by
making the variables global like the rest of them ;-)  I don't know what
the problem really is and I have no idea how it will be fixed in the DJGPP
version.

There may be a bit of a problem for others to get my DJGPP version
compiled.  The work was done under Win95 which amazingly preserved the
long file names and original case of the Lynx source.  DJ's was all
truncticated and single-cased.  I had trouble compiling his so I expect
people will have trouble with mine.  Unless Lynx is converted to all 8.3
lowercase files, however, it does need to be kept intact if DJGPP
development is to stay parallel with the rest of the ports.

Is that it?  Hmm, I guess.  Oh, if you are following Bobcat development I
haven't given up on that.  I should have 0.2 out in a week (With John's
help).  It has improved TCP handling.

Wayne

;
;