lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 19:57:29 +0900 (JST)

> I think we should define 2.8 as the re-integration of the various branch
> versions, and 3.0 as the target for new/future work.  Particular items

Actually my thoughts on 3.0 were ultraconservative, i.e., get the bugs
out as development moves through 2.x; let 3.0 be another `user' distribution.

>     Non-english message sets from anyone who cares to contribute them

Only LYMessages_en.h need be included in the Lynx distribution.  Pointers
to replacements in other languages only need to be posted on this list to
be archived.  Mention in Subir's "Linx links" would be great.  What's
available now: Japanese, Chinese, French?  What others?

>   Presentation improvements:
>     Rob's colors/styles [which, BTW, support slang, ncurses, and SVR4 curses]

Rob's styles support is way beyond presentation.  That's why I hope he'll go
ahead and offer what he's got even if it isn't perfect yet.

>   Infrastructure improvements:
>     (Hiram Lester?) WWWLib 5 (??? if it's really ready)

Klaus, too, has done a lot of study in the WWWlib sources.  He has
replacements for a couple of files, but I don't know how many people in
lynx-dev know how they might affect Lynx if they were plugged in.

>   sideways scrolling
>   cookies persisting across sessions
>   onscreen representation of frames?

Yes, like someone said, there's no code for these features, so they
can't really be talked about other than as dreams.

> Who of the major patch contributors already has your patch fully
> integrated with 2.7+bugfixes?  Whoever you are, let's declare that as
> the next develop-from version.  Then the next major patch contributor
> can use that as baseline to integrate their patch, and pass it on to the
> next, etc., until they are all integrated.  The resulting code set will
> be buggy and experimental; call it 2.8-alpha, distribute it to the
> experimenters on this list, and let the testing begin.

Since no one is stepping forward to integrate, this seems like the
only workable system for now.  Please, though, I'd sure like to know what
the heck I'm compiling, so if major contributions are made, spend some
time educating us testers as to the meaning and implications of your code.
Would really appreciate that.  I remember how well Filip documented his
multibookmark code.  It was great; I respected him for that.

__Henry
;
;