lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Organization of -help output

From: Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Organization of -help output
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 1997 07:58:25 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 1 Mar 1997, Al Gilman wrote:
>   From: Mike Brown <address@hidden>
>   I'm toying with the 'lynx -help' output.  The list of command-line options
>   is quite long and could use some better organization.  How do people feel
>   about the list looking more like the example below?  Any suggestions?
> The response to 'lynx -help' should fit in 80X24 characters, and
> cover the basics.  It should end with instructions on how to get
> If there is to be a list this long, it should be 'lynx -options' or
> something else.  And also end with a "for more information" instruction.
>
> Note that there is the precedent of 'lynx -book' which argues that
> 'lynx -help' should start lynx with lynx_help_main as the startfile.

(my us$.02)  I would suggest retaining the -help output to stdout
rather than starting a "help page" for those cases where the user
has a screwed-up terminal or curses problem.  Perhaps the "-help"
option gives an 80x24 terse overview, with pointers to the help
pages, and a "-help-options" screen which lists *all* available
options the way Mike suggested.

------

;
;