lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx service desk

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx service desk
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 06:59:52 -0800

> From address@hidden Wed Mar  5 02:50:34 1997
> Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 05:21:56 -0500
> From: address@hidden (Larry W. Virden, x2487)
>

> >    I have been wondering if Newsgroup based archives might be better for
> >  lynx-dev.   The topic came up when things were first being installed.   A
> >  dislike for the current viewer was given as one of the reasons they
> >  didn't like it.  Threading is also not available in the current client,
> >  so....
> >
> >I must admit I don't fully understand how this would work.  With
> >mailto URLs on webbed mail, there is a full cycle of give-and-take
> >that one can do in Lynx.
> >
> >If we have a private newsgroup that lives only on the FLORA server,
> >would Lynx post to it?  Maybe not 'cuz of access via nntp: URL?
> >
> See <URL:nntp://genetics.upenn.edu/perl-porters.gw/> for an example
> of how _I_ would llike to see it work.   Msgs appear as articles served
> by a private nntp server.  Users whose mail readers can access things
> in that manner can read the perl developement team's mailing list without
> subscribing.  Lynx users also can read, and post, to this nntp server.
> --
> Larry W. Virden                 INET: address@hidden
> <URL:http://www.teraform.com/%7Elvirden/> <*> O- "We are all Kosh."

I tried your "nntp://genetics.upenn.edu/perl-porters.gw"; from
netcom.com, and got a "421 no such news group" error back.

For those who don't read these massive and complex rfc's, please
explain a bit (larry).

----

Also, what is all this about adding the final "/" in some
lynx-situations?  It certainly makes no difference in
this situation.

THANKS

;
;