lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx W32 bug report

From: Benjamin C. W. Sittler
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx W32 bug report
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 12:09:18 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, Larry W. Virden, x2487 wrote:
[snip section on simple tilde-expansion]
> Everything to here I understand.

> >     + Otherwise, replace everything before the first '/' with the home
> >       directory of the user named.

> This one I don't recognize.  What's an example of this?

> >    The replacement is made only if the tilde-expansion was successful.
> >  * Otherwise, prepend the current working directory.

on our system,
   ~bsittler becomes /u/bsittler, (bsittler's home directory),
   ~root becomes /, (root's home directory), and
   ~xyzzy remains unchanged, because there is no such user.

The home directory is found using the *pwent set of functions (getpwent,
endpwent, etc.) which look in the /etc/passwd file (or equivalent) to find
the named user's home directory. On a Win32 system I use, we have set up a
/etc directory with a UNIX-style passwd file just so that GNU-Win32 bash
can figure out what ~user means.

I hope this helps.

;
;