Re: LYNX-DEV freeWAIS 0.5

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV freeWAIS 0.5
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 12:00:47 -0800

Robert Benites wrote:

> I recently downloaded lynx 2-7 and was trying to build it under
> Digital UNIX 4.0A. I was trying to add direct WAIS support. Per the
> instructions, I downloaded freeWAIS from
> I had done this in the
> past without problems.

Long ago, when I first downloaded Lynx source, I also downloaded and
built some version of freeWAIS.  I think I had trouble with it and never
did succeed in building a version of Lynx with direct WAIS support.
And, indeed, during that timeframe I ran into a few URLs I couldn't
follow because of the lack.

That was perhaps 2.5 or 3 years ago.  Since then, I've always run Lynx
without direct WAIS support.  It has been at least 2 years since I've
noticed *any* negative effects from that.

Which leads to the question: is anyone aware of sites which still use
the wais: URL schema?  How valuable is direct WAIS support in Lynx?

I do not intend to suggest we remove it, since any builder can choose
(by default!) to remove it from his build.  Just wondering how excited
one should get about it.