lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Auto Configure

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Auto Configure
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 11:17:53 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, T.E.Dickey wrote:

> some programs (e.g., c2man) create a user-configuration file that's not
> part of the release.  alternatively, we could make autoconf store all of
> the parameters in config.cache (but I don't think that would be flexible
> enough).  probably should make the configure script create the user-defs
> file if it doesn't exist, otherwise leave it alone (some of these
> parameters should be deduced by the configure-script, but not all).

If you do something along these lines, which I think would be very nice,
you would need to provide a way to query the user about new settings that
have appeared since the last time it was built.  Otherwise users would
continue to use the same settings and not know about new features, changes
in old features, etc.